From September 23-November 7, the Library is presenting the Big Read 2010. This year’s featured author is Edgar Allan Poe, who is best known for his works of horror. In honor of Mr. Poe, the following are some sources related to Buffalo and Western New York ghosts and hauntings. These resources are available in the Grosvenor Room.
Local History File
Our Local History File indexes local newspapers, periodicals, and books related to Buffalo and Erie County people, places, events, and history. Look alphabetically under the following subject headings:
- Also search for the public building or business you think is haunted. For example if you are searching for information on ghosts at the Grand Island Holiday Inn, there are entries under “Hotels – Holiday Inn – Grand Island.” Ask a Librarian for assistance.
Our vertical files include materials such as newspaper clippings, magazine articles, pamphlets, brochures, and other ephemera.
- Haunted Buffalo : Ghosts of the Queen City – Claud, Dwayne. – Buffalo BF 1472.U6 C585 2009
- Ghosts of 1812: Folklore, History and Supernatural Tradition from the Niagara War – Winfield, Mason. – GRO BF 1472.U6 W537 2009
- Village Ghosts of Western New York – Winfield, Mason. – Buffalo BF 1472 .U6 W58 2006
- Shadows of the Western Door: Haunted Sites and Ancient Mysteries of Upstate New York – Winfield, Mason. – Buffalo BF 1472.U6 W56 1997
- Spirits of the Great Hill: Haunted Sites and Ancient Mysteries of Upstate New York – Winfield, Mason. – Buffalo BF 1472.U6 W57 2001
- Haunted Places of Western New York: A Supernatural Tour Guide – Winfield, Mason. – Buffalo BF 1472.U6 W54 2003
- Haunted Lakes: Great Lakes Ghost Stories, Superstitions and Sea Serpents – Stonehouse, Frederick – Buffalo BF 1472.U6 S76 1997
If you would like to find out more about ghosts and haunted places in Western New York, come to one of our Haunted Western New York library programs. These events feature local haunted history authors Mason Winfield and John Koerner as well as Paranormal Researchers of Niagara and Erie.