Pronounced Grove-ner, our name comes from the Grosvenor Library that existed in Buffalo from 1871 until 1963. For most of its existence, the library occupied a building at Franklin & Edward Streets. Part of the collection was later housed in the nearby Cyclorama building. For many years it maintained one of the largest genealogy collections in the country. The Buffalo & Erie County Public Library inherited this collection, and it forms the core of the current Grosvenor Room Genealogy collection.
The old Grosvenor Library was originally named in honor of the “City’s Greatest Benefactor”—Seth Grosvenor. As a young man, he helped defend Buffalo during the War of 1812, and played a prominent role in helping to rebuild the devastated community. Later, as a merchant in New York City, Grosvenor kept his ties to the city by maintaining investments and philanthropic efforts in Buffalo. He died in 1857, leaving $40,000 to the city that was intended to help establish a public library.
Source: Rooney, Paul M. 150 years, 1836-1986 : Buffalo and Erie County Public Library. [Buffalo, N.Y. : Grosvenor Society, 1986]. Buffalo Collection Z733.B93 R58 1986.