The White Bros. Livery & Boarding Stable on Jersey Street, threatened with demolition in 2008, will soon be given new life as apartments. Built in 1889 and designed by architect Richard Waite, the livery is considered an architectural treasure and a connection to Buffalo’s past.
Waite’s other Buffalo work includes Pierce’s Palace Hotel on Porter Avenue, the German Insurance building in Lafayette Square, the Grosvenor Library (a predecessor of the current Buffalo & Erie County Public Library), the Women’s Union Music Hall, and the New Music Hall of the German Young Men’s Association.
Image source: Buffalo New York: The book of its merchants exchange by Geo. W. Engelhardt. For general circulation through the business community 1896-1897. p.125 (Buffalo Collection F129.B8 E7)